About Me

My photo
Visual Artist, Freelance Writer, Self Published & Published Author of Poetry and Childrens' Literature. Farmer of Naturally grown foods, Animal lover, Horse owner.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tying Knots



I live in a place where people are of few words, not because they're conversationally challenged but because they're not eager to waste words. Meet-ups at the town post office draw men in overalls with plaid shirts, dusty boots, and cow tales about a time when there were no people, imagine that. I've discovered that one liners have a respected place in Americana and for those who don't get it, they are truly missing out on generations of storytelling. So after logging several hundred hours of gathered information, I've taken bits and pieces to form my own ideas about overalls, dust, cows & planting. There may be an exact science to planting, the local University receives millions of dollars to prove it, but around my neighborhood the education is free if you just listen. Trellising beans is the subject for this blog, in one liner jargon the question is, how'd you tie your beans? I've mentioned previously that our produce business focuses on Naturally Grown vegetables, no pesticides, heirloom seeds, composting and well water, so why not use a natural trellis method. Many experts use wire fencing because the beans get heavy and there is a sense of permanency, but I've discovered that beans have feelings and they prefer natural, organic support to lean on when possible. With the help of our neighbors and my mom we now have a trellis supported with T-post and Jute for our climbers. Its taken some time to hand string a fence but I'm looking forward to the result. The quality time with our friends and my mom are priceless and the rest is Gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment