About Me

My photo
Visual Artist, Freelance Writer, Self Published & Published Author of Poetry and Childrens' Literature. Farmer of Naturally grown foods, Animal lover, Horse owner.

Friday, April 2, 2010

I'm no Town Crier



I've recently joined a new facebook group called "I live in Georgia where all four seasons happen within the week." That's an understatement. At the beginning of the week, my neighbor was teaching us how to split our own firewood, toughening up our hands, making us feel self reliant, and dependent on the land. As I walked across the yard while waving my hand, here and there I casually mentioned how I'd like "someone" to Kill all the Privet in Georgia until it's dead beyond recognition. Kill all the Kudzu and wild onions too its useless! He assured me that we had another few weeks before the weather broke and the plants I mentioned, wouldn't begin to thrive until the middle of April. As I strolled up and down the aisles of Lowes I watched people load their carts with dainty little annuals, pricing shrubbery, potting soil and seeds. I thought to myself "they're gonna get hit with that April Frost" I'm gonna wait. Now my garden has been plowed for two weeks ready to go and my dearest neighbor and Spiritual brother gave us several Onion and Garlic plants that he's grown through the winter in his greenhouse. Established, strong and tall they've stood alone for the past two weeks enduring some cold temps. Upon waking this morning I heard the distinct sound of a wasp over head and why did I hear it so clearly,because the air was heavy and still. I immediately made plans to take advantage of the spring day. I surveyed the front yard scanning the flower bed for weeds, then I looked through the kitchen window at the garden plot with 5 perfectly straight rows of Onion and Garlic. It appeared from the window, that there were some grass shoots coming up, which is to be expected, but as I went outside to get a closer view I gasped in disbelief, apostates in MY garden, attempting to invade the territory.Looking just like my precious green house babies, but out of line. I'm no town crier so before I sounded the alarm I did some research on wild onions and garlic. Some people love them, cook with them, boil, blanch and eat raw. Others dislike the scent,and or taste and advise not to eat them because of the toxicity to dogs, horses and children. Well I'm a horse owner,I have 3 children and I'm human, that's enough for me. I probably won't win the battle but I'm sure gonna try!

No comments:

Post a Comment